12/14/2005

Perfect adaptation of the movie...

Or rather the movie appears to be a picture perfect adaptation of this graphic novel.

Since I enjoyed the movie Sin City, I thought I'd give the original source material a chance. It took a while (like nine months) to get the copy since I'm a cheapskate who waited 'til my number came up at the library.

Reading the comic - technically titled Sin City: The Long Goodbye - was a bit anticlimactic for me. It's excellent - pretty much everybody agrees - but the movie was such a letter for letter, panel for panel adaptation that I knew the plot, the words, the images even of the comic. This doesn't mean that the graphic novel is any less spectacular, just that it's less of a revelation because I knew and had seen the whole thing recreated perfectly for me by Robert Rodriguez. The movie is excellent because the source material is excellent.

Sin City is wonderful film noir on paper with nothing but stark black and white images that shock and stun and amaze the reader. It's awesome and harsh and certainly not for the young kiddies out there or the faint of heart.

True quality stuff.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Cantido said...

I'd never think a comic could translate into a movie as well as people say this does. But now that it's finally happened, I'm sure fanboys will find something else about the movie to complain about (in terms of representing the comic).

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger PHSChemGuy said...

It'll be tough to ever top Sin City in terms of direct adaptation that works, but Rodriguez has said he wants to film the other graphic novels in the series as well, so it could at least be fun to see the adaptation done well.

Even with Batman Begins, which I really enjoyed, there were a lot of liberties taken with the Batman mythos.

We will, admittedly though, always find something to gripe about if we love the source material. What shows up on the screen rarely if ever can match the richness of our imaginations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home