1/29/2006

Typical weekend music reviews...

Coldplay was on Austin City Limits, and while I'll admit that I'd heard of and about them in the past, I didn't have the foggiest idea what they sang or what they sounded like before that night. But their performance was impressive - very playful stuff from their lead singer, nice choice of covers with a pretty acoustic "Ring of Fire" and a Michael Stipe-sung "Nightswimming" - and I thought I should give some of their music a try.

So I started with X&Y which didn't grab me - I'll give it another try - and moved on to Parachutes - their debut album. It's a knockout. Good from start to finish with very tuneful cuts throughout. Certainly one to put into heavy rotation - especially the tune that you probably know already "Yellow". Good stuff...certainly worth going through at least once.

The week before Coldplay, Cafe Tecuba were on Austin City Limits, as well. Playing entirely in Spanish, they rocked the place like few other bands have. Their lead singer was dressed in capri pants and Chucks - singing in a somewhat high-pitched scratchy voice, but he bounced like a punk/pop maniac. The rest of the band was spot on with their musical accompaniement. This double album Reves/Yosoy has a single of acoustic/instrumental music and a second disc of rockin' pop/punk tunes entirely in Spanish. It's a high quality release and one that I'm sure isn't getting the airplay north of the border that it deserves.

Give 'em a chance, boyos...

1 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Blogger G-Rob said...

I was way behind the Coldplay movement myself and have really found them amazing since discovering them. Give X&Y a couple more plays. Some really amazing content musically.

I'm a sucker for a tune that really tugs at the heart strings or makes me picture what the video might look like in my head. Perhaps it was all circumstantial, but I had a real connection to "Fix You" musically. The entire intro is very soft and then there's the build up to the punch and I just get chills everytime I hear it.

Keep on it, Lonnie. Try X&Y again and also check out Rush of Blood to the Head. A very good album as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home