1/15/2006

The perpetual catching up...

Yeah, no major posts in like two weeks...so I'll drop two or three catch up posts this time...

MTv Unplugged by 10,000 Maniacs captures a time period - 'round about my freshman year in college as my sometime roommate and now Wabash professor had a serious thing for the band. It's a pretty enough album and one that captures the band's music very well. But it's a period piece. It's not aged well. The music sounds dated and not too fresh. Luckily, it does include the excellent cover of "Because the Night"...

As I often do, I heard a single song by the next band on WLHS and went out to hunt the band down. Turns out the album I found - Blueberry Boat - didn't have that song on it, but what I got was a heck of a musical experience. Blueberry Boat is a whimsical, experimental album that switches tempos and moods at the drop of a hat yet still manages to present a cohesive whole. It's like nothing else I've heard in the musical landscape for a long while, and I'm gonna give it a whole-hearted thumbs up.

More catching up to come...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home