12/21/2005

Cultural relativism...

My suspended viewing of Soul Plane brings me to some questions of cultural relativism.

My first responses are that this movie is awful, horrible, painful, stupid, and offensive to pretty much every possible race and ethnicity, and I can say that most critics that I can find online agree with me.

Clearly, however, the movie is not written by, nor aimed at someone with the same background as I have. It isn't aimed to entertain a midlle-class, German-English-Cretan-Polish descendant, with graduate school experience, and because of that I wonder whether I'm the most qualified reviewer for this film. I remember when I was in college taking an anthropology course and discussing the issue of whether someone from outside a culture can judge the actions and values of those within that culture. I don't know whether I am qualified or should judge this film, but I do know that I hated it and found it probably the most poorly-written, poorly-conceived, offensive film that I've seen.

1 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger calencoriel said...

dude...I warned you about Soul Plane...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home